How Much Does a Hot Tub Weigh?
Hot tubs are available in all kinds of shapes and sizes. There are small inflatable hot tubs that are ideal for 2-4 people and large swim spas that allow you to practice swimming strokes in the jet flow of the water. When looking to buy a hot tub, the most common question that most prospective buyers ask is how much does the hot tub weight?
The answer varies, depending on a range of factors such as the size of the hot tub, construction material of the hot tub, depth of the hot tub, the accessories included, the type of hot tub cover, and much more. Here are some reasons why it is important to know the weight of the hot tub.
- Installation Purposes – When installing a hot tub on a deck or patio, you will need to know the weight of the hot tub when it’s dry and when it’s filled with water, and people are sitting in it. This will help to build a deck that is constructed to take on the weight of the hot tub with ease, and it won’t break or develop cracks when the hot tub is placed on it.
- Moving Purposes – Moving a hot tub can be a hassle and knowing the weight of the hot tub when it’s dry can help you to reduce the hassle by a considerable degree. When you know the weight, you can estimate how many people it will take to move the hot tub and what kind of moving straps and moving truck you need to get for the hot tub.
Average Hot Tub Weight
Let’s take a look at the average weight of some of the popular hot tubs
|1||Hudson Bay Spas 4 Person 14 Jet Spa||500 lbs||View on Amazon |
|2||American Spas AM-630LS 5-Person 30-Jet Lounger Spa||740 lbs|| View on Amazon |
|3||Lifesmart Rock Solid Simplicity Plug and Play 4 Person Hot Tub Spa||269 lbs|| View on Amazon |
Average Hot Tub
Weight – 503 lbs
Least Hot Tub Weight and Maximum Hot Tub Weight
When buying a hot tub, you need to take into account the two basic types of weights of the hot tub. Most Here’s a quick look at what the two weights include.
Least Weight – The least weight of the hot tub means the weight when the hot tub is empty. This weight depends on the size of the hot tub. A typical hot tub that is 8 feet long and 8 feet wide (8×8) will weight around 400-600 pounds when it is empty(1).
There are small hot tubs in the market that measure 5 feet by 7 feet and these can have an average weight of 300 pounds. And when we talk about extra-large hot tubs, these can have an average weight of about 2400 pounds.
Maximum Weight – Maximum weight refers to the weight of the hot tub when it has water and people sitting in it. This weight depends on the number of people the hot tub can accommodate and the size of the hot tub. On an average, a tub measuring 7 ½-foot by 7 ½-foot can hold 420 gallons of water and it can accommodate 6-7 people with an average weight of 185 pounds.
The total weight of a hot tub with the above-mentioned measurements would be around 5,655 pounds(2). Knowing this weight is essential while building a deck or a base for the hot tub so that it can support the load of the people and water.
How to Find the Weight of a Hot Tub
Whether you are buying a new hot tub or installing a used hot tub, knowing the weight is essential to make shipping, handling, and installation easier. Here is how you can find the weight of the hot tub.
1) The Manual – Most hot tubs come with a manual that has all the figures you need to find out the weight of the hot tub. You can also check the pump compartment for the specifications that include the dry weight of the hot tub and the recommended capacity.
2) Manufacturer’s Website – You can always check the hot tub manufacturer’s website for the weight of the hot tub. Just search for the model number, and you can download the corresponding manual for the hot tub that you plan to buy, and find out the weight of the hot tub and its water capacity.
3) Calculations – Once you have the dry weight of the hot tub and its water capacity, you can easily calculate the total weight of the hot tub. One gallon of water weighs around 8.3 pounds and an average sized human being is about 185 pounds. So, dry weight added to the total weight of water added to the total weight of people will give you the maximum weight of the hot tub. (3)
Finding the weight of a hot tub is important when you want to move the hot tub from one place to another or build a deck to install the hot tub. Keep in mind, the average weight of the hot tub can sometimes be more than your calculations so always keep some margin for error in your final calculations. Other factors like the weather, temperature of the water, and the weight of the people can also influence the total weight of the hot tub so make a note of those too when you buy a hot tub.
If you have any tips and tricks for finding out the weight of the hot tub, feel free to share those in the comments.