Steam Room VS. Hot Tub
Homeowners often debate in their minds about steam room vs. hot tub for their homes. A steam room offers a large area to relax and unwind, while a hot tub is great for personal and intimate soaking. There are different uses for both and the benefits offered by them also vary by a large degree.
Making a choice between steam room vs. hot tub can be difficult unless you know the pros and cons associated with both. There are several factors that you need to look into before you decide to build a steam room in your house or buy a hot tub. From their construction to their operation, maintenance, and more.
In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the pros and cons associated with steam rooms and hot tubs. Hopefully, by the time you are done reading this article, you will have a much better idea whether you want to build a steam room in your house or buy a hot tub.
A steam room is a specially designed room that is filled with steam using artificial means. Sitting in a steam room exposes the body to steam at high temperatures that releases the toxins in the body through sweat. Sitting in a steam room also helps with weight loss and a 20-minute session has the same metabolic effect as going on a short walk. Let’s take a quick look at some of the pros and cons of a steam room.
Pros of A Steam Room
1) Large Space – A steam room offers a large and comfortable space for relaxing, sitting, or talking. If you are with your friends, you can all spend some time in the steam room without feeling crowded or cramped.
2) Comfortable Seating – The seating in the steam room is designed to be comfortable. For 20 minute sessions, the seating offers an easy way to spend time without feeling fatigued or tired.
3) Advanced Temperature Control – You can control the temperature and steam in the steam room as per your comfort levels. There are controls provided for the type of heat and the amount of heat you want for your steam room session.
4) Health Benefits – The health benefits of a session in a steam room are many. Your skin looks better, and you end up losing any water weight you might be carrying. A short session in the steam room also increases your heart rate and brings a glow to your skin.
5) Ideal for Small Groups – If you have a small group of friends, you can schedule a session in a steam room. A steam room provides an excellent environment for conversations and mingling with friends. The common health benefits associated with steam make it even more fun.
Cons of a Steam Room
1) Expensive to Build – Building a steam room is not as simple as buying a hot tub. You have to find space for it and get a contractor to build it according to the design that would be most ideal for your house. It can take a lot of money and time to build a steam room.
2) Requires Regular Maintenance – A steam room will always need regular maintenance. There is equipment that might need replacing or fixing from time to time. You will also need to keep it clean so that everyone in the steam room can have a a comfortable and sanitary steaming session.
3) Excessive Temperature Can Be Harmful – The temperature in a steam room can reach in the range of 104 degrees F. Such high temperature can be harmful to those with medical conditions like high blood pressure or heart problems. Make sure everyone who wants to spend time in the steam room has no underlying health problems.
4) Permit Requirements. – As with any other part of your house, building a steam room also requires permits and permissions from your local authorities. You can search online for the documents and fees that it will take for approval to build a steam room on your property. You will also need to make sure the steam room is not a fire hazard, and it is compliant with the latest safety regulations(1).
Hot tubs are a great way to soak in hot water and relax after a long day at work. There are different kinds of hot tub available in the market. You can buy inflatable hot tubs, acrylic hot tubs, or hot tubs made from stone and wood. For this article, we’ll take into account hot tubs that are available online on shopping websites like Amazon.com and compare and contrast the features of these with steam rooms. Let’s take a look at some of the pros of buying a hot tub for your house.
Pros of A Hot Tub
1) Easy to Install – Buying and using a hot tub is easy, and you do not have to go through any complicated construction to start using it. Just plug in the hot tub in your existing water supply, and you soak once the water is heated as per your requirement.
2) Easy Maintenance – When it comes to maintenance of a hot tub, you are in luck. Most hot tubs come with a range of features that make maintenance easy and quick. Water filters, cleaning chemicals, and floating cleaning devices can make short work of cleaning any kind of pool water. You can also get Ozonator for your hot tub that cleans the water by processing ozone through it.
3) Perfect for Hydrotherapy – Hydrotherapy is one of the most popular uses for a hot tub. The action of hot water, bubbles, and jets on the sore parts of the body can provide relief from pain and swelling. Hydrotherapy is also perfect for those who want to reduce stress on their joints as they can float in the water of the hot tub.
4) Fun at Hot Tub Parties – Hosting a hot tub party can be the highlight of your week. You can invite your friends to soak with you in the hot tub and also arrange for food and drinks that will make the party even more fun. In cold weather, soaking in a hot tub becomes fun and wholesome experience.
Cons of A Hot Tub
1) Durability – Hot tubs often develop issues such as faulty heating or water supply. These need to regular maintenance and upkeep to ensure they keep working fine and offer the best experience to the users.
2) Power Expenses – Hot tubs take a lot of time to heat up the water. Most hot tub heat water at the rate of 1-2 degrees F per hour and it can take up to 24 hours for a hot tub to heat the water till required temperature. If you use your hot tub regularly, be prepared to see a rise in your electricity expenditure.
3) Lack of Space – Even a large hot tub will have space for a maximum six people, and after that, it starts to get a little crowded in the hot tub. If you are planning to host more people at your hot tub party or regular hot tub usage, it’s best to invest in an option that provides you more space than six people.
4) Health Issues – Hot tubs are not recommended for those who are suffering from blood pressure, heart or skin problems. Soaking in the hot tub can aggravate certain medical conditions, and it is always a good idea to take approval from your physician before soaking in the hot tub. Pregnant women and children should also avoid using the hot tub.
5) Doesn’t Add Value to Property – Keeping or building a hot tub on your property doesn’t add to its value like building a pool, or a steam room will do. If you are buying a hot tub online, it’s most probably a portable hot tub that can be moved easily.
Conclusion About Steam Room VS. Hot Tub
The decision to build a steam room vs. buying a hot tub can be a crucial one that will take financial investment as well as your time. Add to that; you will need to spend time and money down the line to maintain the steam room.
Your choice should depend on your expectations from the steam room or the hot tub. You should also consider your budget and if you want to add value to your property. If you move a lot, then getting a hot tub will be the best option for you. Also, if you are interested only in hydrotherapy and relaxing, you should get a hot tub.
We hope this article has helped you in deciding whether a hot tub or a steam room is the best choice for your property. Please let us know your thoughts in comments regarding your choice for a hot tub vs. a steam room.