What Gauge Wire to Use in a Hot Tub?
Wiring up your new hot tub for the winter season can be quite a task. One of the most common questions asked by new hot tub owners is which gauge wire to use for the hot tub. There are often times when professional hot tub installers get confused about the gauge of wire to use for the hot tub so that it can provide optimum performance.
In basic terms, wire gauge refers to the diameter of the wire. The thicker the wire, the more current it can carry safely and it also adds to the weight of the wire.
In this article, we are going to take a look at some points that can help you choose the right gauge of wire for your hot tub. We will also take a look at the different gauges of wires available in the market and which ones can be the best for your hot tub.
Types of Gauge Wires for Hot Tubs
Hot tubs require a high volume of current to function properly, so it is always advisable to go for the thickest gauge wire available. Thicker wire will be able to handle lighter current volumes, but a thin wire will short circuit and damage the equipment if high volume current is passed through it.
For a 10-15 amp breaker, a 14-gauge cable should be ideal. A 12-gauge cable is thicker and useful when you have a 20-amp breaker. It is recommended that at a minimum you should use a 12-gauge wire. For a 240-volt hot tub, a 10-gauge wire with a 30-amp breaker setup is ideal. For a 50-amp breaker, an 8-gauge wire setup would be recommended.
How to Choose the Right Wire Gauge for Your Hot Tub
- Manufacturer’s Specifications -Check the specifications provided by the manufacturer in the manual of the hot tub to check the recommended gauge of wire to be used with the hot tub. Different sizes of tubs will require different gauges of wires.
- Code Requirements – Check your local and state code requirements for installation of hot tubs and the gauge of wire recommended by the authorities. You can consult the professionals that install the hot tubs for the correct gauge of wire needed for the model of hot tub you own.
- Hot Tub Voltage – The gauge of the wire will also depend on the voltage of the hot tub. A 240v or a 120v hot tub will require different sizes of wires for optimum performance.
- Number of Phases – The number of phases also determine the gauge of wire you will need for your hot tub. Single phase or three-phase will require different wire gauge.
- The Distance of Hot Tub from Circuit Breaker – Another factor that determines the gauge of the wire is how far away the circuit breaker is from the hot tub. The longer the distance, the thicker the wire should be.
Precautions to Follow
Electric installation can be dangerous as you are around water and there is a high voltage current in the wires. It is always advisable to get installation services from licensed professionals who understand how a hot tub should be installed. Professional installers also know the codes and regulations that need to be followed for installation of hot tubs and they will also help you with the needed paperwork, if any.
Choosing the right gauge of hot tub wire can make all the difference in the performance of the hot tub as well as your power bills. With the right gauge of wire, your hot tub will heat up faster and it will also add to the life of the equipment that is used to heat up the water. The right gauge of wire adds to the safety quotient as well because there is less scope of the wire heating up during use or a short circuit of the fuse blowing up because of an excessive load when the hot tub is used for a long duration.
We hope this article has helped you in getting more information on which what gauge of wire to use for your hot tub. For best results, you should consult professionals that understand the process of hot tub installation.
Image Sources 1